John King wrote:
> All, please forgive this question if it seems to be a silly one....
>
> I regard most of the posters to this forum as being experts and truly vaule
> the information found in your responses to questions and threads. I am a
> consultant trying to provide secure email services to my clients and am
> looking to ensure that I configure my postfix server in the best interests of
> email etiquette and security.
>
> My question is - based on several postings where people advise that x line
> should precede y line or be listed after z - with regards to the auth
> sections and recipient restrictions etc etc... Is there a set order in which
> these elemts should be listed in main.cf and if so, is that order published
> or available anywhere ?
>
> Thanks and again i apologise for the question if it seems too much of a
> newbie question

The defaults are generally sane.

Understand that Postfix does not evaluate line order.

What matters is order in restrictions.
You must find what works for your situation.  Postfix is very flexible.

The most critical restriction is reject_unauth_destination.  Placement
of check_recipient_access or check_sender access before this in
smtpd_recipient_restrictions *may* lead to an open relay.