On Aug 4, 2009, at 9:00 PM, Chookiex wrote:

Hi All,
I want to do a test with postfix.
For example, I will relay many mails to postfix and postfix delivery maiils to mda. But you know, mda may not be stable enough, so mda would not work occasionally.

At this time, the postfix would bounce mails, I can not hope to see it.
So, how to forbid the bounced mail?

It is generally not in your control. The sending server should know to retry again later, for at the least, a few hours. I retry 12 hours by default, many others use a much greater time.

A second line of protection would be a secondary MX, which will accept all emails and hold them until your primary comes back online. I have decided that due to spammers the secondary MX is not worth it for me. Spammers like to target a secondary MX directly, and I was unable to keep the secondary and primary in sync with regard to anti spam measures and configs.

I figured, most retry intervals are long enough that I should be able to get some form of limited receiving server back online within that time window.