On 8/6/2009, Santiago Romero (srom...@servicom2000.com) wrote:
> By adding the following to my main.cf, I'll check RCPT TO addresses
> against primary MX, except when PRIMARY MX doesn't answer. In that case,
> I'll accept any destination for my relay_domains list, just like I was
> doing before adding those lines:
>
> address_verify_map = btree:/var/lib/postfix/verify
> address_verify_positive_refresh_time = 14d
> unverified_recipient_defer_code = 250

You are correct, but this is NOT the recommended way...

Don't change the unverified_recipient_defer_code to 250... leave it at
its default 450. This way you will not be a backscatter source ever, and
the worst that will happen if their primary MX is down is some mail
might be delayed a little.

Also, if I'm understanding the way this works correctly, you can also
use the address_verify_map parameter to cache hits (both negative and
positive), which will allow you to continue accepting mail for
recipients who are still in the cache even if the primary MX is down.

http://postfix.mirrorspace.org/postconf.5.html#address_verify_map

--

Best regards,

Charles