Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 6:07 PM, /dev/rob0<r...@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 August 2009 15:18:46 Eduardo Júnior wrote:
>> what's the difference between smtp and smtps?
>> According to what I read in [1], the difference is just the port where
>> the daemon smtp listen
>
> In the context you are asking, both are names for ports as defined in
> your services(5) file (or other port name-to-number translation as
> configured to use by your OS-provided libraries.)
>
> $ getent services smtp
> smtp                  25/tcp mail
> $ getent services smtps
> smtps                 465/tcp
>
>> In smtps, all the information pass encrypted? Using key and cert
>> from tags tls in main.cf?
>
> SMTPS is a deprecated protocol for submission which uses SMTP over an
> SSL-secured connection. New sites should have no need for it, simply
> tell your users to use submission (587/tcp) with TLS.

So, SMTPS (465/tcp) is deprecated and I can remove this line from my master.cf
I actived submission (587/tcp) and I ask:

For my experience, this would useful only to users to send messages (a
dedicated daemon) and port 25 (other SMTP daemon) to receive mail from
others servers, correct?
What the real beneficit after that?
I already have TLS actived in my SMTP daemon and the submission only
would alter the port to connect?

My submission is the default:

submission inet n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
  -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
  -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
  -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING

[]'s