2009/8/21 Florin Andrei <flo...@andrei.myip.org>:
> I'm setting up SASL with TLS for remote clients. As an additional security
> measure, I would like the server to ask the email clients to present their
> client certificates. According to the docs, this is accomplished with:
>
> smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes

If you intend to extract "security" from this, I imagine you'd want to
enforce the use of client-certs, otherwise anyone can simply choose
not to. This will dependent on the rest of your config, which isn't
shown (postconf -n). Of course, you couldn't enforce this except on a
non-public-facing system, or on the submission port (587).

> Also, after enabling this option, I connected to Postfix with a TLS-enabled
> email client with all the certificates installed. I saw this line in the
> logs:
>
> Aug 20 22:49:01 server postfix/smtpd[7724]: connect from
> unknown[XXX.YYY.ZZZ.KKK]
> Aug 20 22:49:02 server postfix/smtpd[7724]: setting up TLS connection from
> unknown[XXX.YYY.ZZZ.KKK]
> Aug 20 22:49:02 server postfix/smtpd[7724]: Anonymous TLS connection
> established from unknown[XXX.YYY.ZZZ.KKK]: TLSv1 with cipher AES128-SHA
> (128/128 bits)
>
> Why does it say "Anonymous TLS connection"?

I don't know much about client-TLS with postfix, but I imagine there's
any number of reasons the client negotiated an anonymous TLS
connection. Perhaps it quietly doesn't like the server's self-signed
cert, perhaps there's a cipher negotiation mismatch, perhaps the
client doesn't bother supplying its own cert (assuming it has one).

> I thought the anonymous ciphers
> are disabled when client certs are used.

What makes you say that? ask_ccert should do exactly that, but nothing
more. I believe this behaviour would be governed by:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_tls_mandatory_ciphers