Ansgar Wiechers put forth on 9/15/2009 4:28 AM:

> Then you can't avoid sending backscatter. Period. RFC 2821 clearly
> states:
>
> | If an SMTP server has accepted the task of relaying the mail and
> | later finds that the destination is incorrect or that the mail
> | cannot be delivered for some other reason, then it MUST construct
> | an "undeliverable mail" notification message and send it to the
> | originator of the undeliverable mail
>
>> therefore I don't know what the best way forward would be?
>
> Maintain a recipient list.

This is your starting point:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relay_recipient_maps

This might be useful for AD/LDAP:
http://www2.origogeneris.com:4000/relay_recipients.html

Google for other solutions.  Lots of info on this topic out there.

FYI my Postfix MX is strictly an anti-spam/gateway server as well, and I use
relay_recipients.  Granted, I've got less than 100 valid email addresses that
change rarely, but even if it were 100,000 it still wouldn't be that much
trouble to maintain, assuming I have timely access to address adds/changes on
the downstream MTA(s), which I do.

--
Stan