>2009/9/30 Scott Miller <srmil...@interbel.net>:
>> In case anyone is interested, I've attached a working Postfix Mail Queue
>> Monitor for nagios - It's working for me as is, but if anyone has any
>> suggested modifications I'd be glad to look at them.
>
>We do something like this where I work, a mailqueue-size check for
>nagios via NRPE. There was some discussion a little while ago finding
>the queue size; the long and the short is that invoking postqueue is
>bad (it's painfully slow).
>
>If you're interested, dig up the thread in your favourite archives and
>have a read, the subject is/was "Recommended way to (quickly) get
>total mail queue size?", around 2009-07-08.
>
>I'm in the process of improving our own systems, which will move to
>using Victor's suggested perl script. In some ad-hoc testing, I reckon
>it's easily 1-2 orders of magnitude faster than postqueue when there's
>a fair amount of mail queued up.
>
>P.S. Apologies if I'm wrong about the script using postqueue, but I
>didn't read every single line, just had a skim to appease my
>suspicions.

here's mine, very fast with "find":

#!/bin/sh

for Q in incoming active deferred hold ; do

SIZE="`find /mail/spool/postfix/$Q -maxdepth 5 -type f | wc -l | tr -d ' ' `"

dd  if=/dev/zero bs=1 count=$SIZE of=/var/db/postfix/q_size_$Q

done

exit 0

then I have monit monitor the filesizes of those 4 files.

Len