Victor Duchovni put forth on 10/22/2009 10:20 AM:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 08:15:56AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> Eric Vaughn put forth on 10/5/2009 8:23 PM:
>>
>>> OLD                       NEW
>>> Centos 5.0.               Centos 5.3 (yum update all)
>>> i386.                      x64
>>> 2.4 ghrz cpu.             2.83 ghrz cpu
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Would you please provide the following:
>>
>> 1. Each server make/model#
>> 2. CPU brand/revision/FSB
>> 3. Memory type (DDR/DDR2?) and bus freq
>> 4. 64bit Linux kernel and 64bit Postfix binary on NEW system, or 64/32?
>>    Or x64 above is merely capability, but you're still 32bit/32bit?
>
> There is really no need to pursue this at this time. No evidence has
> yet been found to support the new system being slower than the old.

I think you've demonstrated it's not slower.  I'm wondering why it's not
faster, vs what you described as about equal, in performance.  Granted,
the hardware specs above don't seem radically different, but we don't
know if one is Intel and the other AMD.  That can make a large
difference depending on CPU/platform generation.  I'm just trying to
figure out what potential differences there are in raw/theoretical
hardware horsepower between the old and new servers, and any differences
in the combination of hardware/kernel memory management.   I've read of
compatibility and performance issues when using a 64bit Linux kernel
with 32bit userland.

It's an interesting issue and piques my curiosity.  I'd like to pursue
this aspect to see if it might be a factor, or none at all.

--
Stan