On Nov 9, 2009, at 20:48, Cameron Smith wrote:
We have a private network on our lan and a public network on our lan.

We want to put a mail gateway running postfix in the public network and have it be the point of entry and egress for the other mail servers also running postfix on both our public and private networks.

I can see here how to configure this:
http://www.postfix.org/ STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#local_network

but I have a few questions.

Are there any pointers or things I should watch out for when setting up this type of relationship?

Also if mail is for a server on the private network is there any way for someone connecting by imap from the internet to authenticate and view mail (via phone or laptop with changing ip) on that server without resorting to a VPN app on a mobile device?

Cameron,

On your last question, sure you can do that - all you need to do is map a public IP address/port to the private IP address/port, and forward traffic for that public address/port combination to the private address/port; you would do that at your firewall. This is what I do for my personal mail server.

Daniel