Hi Wietse,

I have a question about postfix looking up users after it would clearly
have got a "not a local domain" response.

     30 Query       SELECT 1 FROM virtual_domains WHERE
name='exmple.net' AND active ='1'
     31 Query       SELECT destination FROM view_aliases WHERE
email='someu...@example.net'

Should that not have ended its lookups at Q30 and not gone on to ask
Q31 which it now already knows is not local?

Secondly,  it seems to do "double lookups" of destination and email
before it gets to deliver , is this normal?  I'm trying to work out why,
since it already has its answer by Q54 and Q55, it is doing Q56 and Q57,
which seem pointless?

*The domain here has been deliberately changed to protect user from
scummy spam harvesters and DB connect details removed.

     54 Connect
     54 Query       SELECT destination FROM view_aliases WHERE
email='la...@example.com'
     55 Connect
     55 Query       SELECT email FROM view_users WHERE
email='la...@example.com'

     56 Connect
     56 Query       SELECT destination FROM view_aliases WHERE
email='la...@example.com'
     57 Connect
     57 Query       SELECT email FROM view_users WHERE
email='la...@example.com'

if it helps...

the mysql files all use  hosts = unix:/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock
10.10.0.254  (the latter being a different machine)

#relay_domains = $mydestination
#relay_recipient_maps = #

virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains.cf
virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_users.cf
virtual_alias_maps =
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_aliases.cf,mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_bypass_catchall.cf
virtual_transport = dovecot

smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

It's most likely not a bug, and there is a reason for the repeat
lookups, perhaps its even in my relevant config, but thought I'd run it
by you in case it is doing something it doesn't need to.

Cheers