On 20 Dec 2009, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Anthony Campbell put forth on 12/20/2009 2:25 PM:
>
> > OK, after looking at the output of the modified post-install I found the
> > cause of the error message (I think). I deleted postfix-doc and
> > reinstalled it - the error is no longer there.
>
> And yet, you could have avoided this entire messy saga by running Postfix on
> Debian stable (Lenny) instead of Debian u n s t a b l e (SID).  Why exactly do
> you desire to run a production Postfix server on Debian SID?  They call it u
> n s
> t a b l e for a reason Anthony.  You've just experienced that reason.
>
> If your answer is that you need features available in Postfix 2.6.5 that
> aren't
> in 2.5.5, then you should be running Lenny and installing Postfix 2.6.5 from
> Wietse's source package, _not_ installing u n s t a b l e to get Postfix
> 2.6.5.
>
> Now repeat after me 100 times:
>
> "Debian-stable is for production, Debian-SID is for tinkering and pulling
> one's hair out."
>
> P.S. Forgive my space expansion of SID's branch name.  The list admin filter
> doesn't like the first 3 letters of that word in succession.  Apparently it
> thinks those 3 letters mean the sender wants to leave the list or something.
>
> --
> Stan

Your somewhat patronising comments are beside the point. I have been
running Sid for at least 3 years without serious difficulties. The
present problem would not have been avoided by running Lenny because the
issue was not with the fact that the package was in Sid but that it was,
presumably, corrupt in some way, probably when it was downloaded. I
replaced it with the *same* package, not a different one.

In any case, as I said at the beginning, postfix was working perfectly
well in spite of the error message; I was merely trying to find out why
it was happening.

Anthony

--

Anthony Campbell - a...@acampbell.org.uk