I am currently consulting for a small retailer.  They have been using
an online email service provider for the past few years to blast
personalized emails to their customers (opt-in, and 100-200 thousand
emails at a time).  They have asked me to see if we can install an
email server in house to accomplish the same thing and eliminate the
monthly costs.  I am fairly familiar with Linux/Unix and with databases
(mysql and postgresql).  I have not done anything with Sendmail or
Postfix but feel comfortable following the documentation.  I have also
ordered the two books that I could find on Postfix.

My questions
are: has anyone used Postfix for this purpose?  Do the online ESP's
develop their own email servers?  Do any of them use Sendmail,
Postfix or qmail?

Thanks in advance for any information or links.