On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:00:37AM -0500, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> I am using CACert as my signing authority. I have included their root
> certificate in my main.cf:
>
> smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/ssl/root.crt

This is for verifying client certificates when clients connect
to your SMTP server.

> However, I get this error when it tries to set up a TLS connection:
>
> postfix/smtp[5298]: certificate verification failed for
> xserveoda.aimaudit.com[70.158.194.7]:25: untrusted issuer /O=Root
> CA/OU=http://www.cacert.org/CN=CA Cert Signing
> Authority/emailaddress=supp...@cacert.org

This is your SMTP client sending to remote servers. Consider adding this
certificate to:

    smtp_tls_CAfile = /some/file/with/all/trusted/ca/certs.pem

OR

    smtp_tls_CApath = /some/directory/with/all/trusted/ca/certs/

In the latter case, you need to run the "c_rehash" utility from OpenSSL,
to re-index the directory when it is updated. Note that c_rehash is
not atomic, and may temporarily disrupt verification while it is
running, so if you use the "secure" or "verify" tls levels, you
want to stop your MTA before running c_rehash, or run c_rehash
in new directory, and atomically update a symlink to cut-over to
the new certificate set.

I have as yet been too lazy to contribute a more robust c_rehash
to the OpenSSL project. Sorry about that... :-(

--
        Viktor.