* "Dr. Lars Hanke" <l...@lhanke.de>:
> I had a quite strange issue. About a week ago my bind9 broke down and I
> could not get it running again on the same machine. So moved it to
> another machine and changed the /etc/resolv.conf of my machines to try
> both IP. Apparently everything worked fine.
>
> Today I was puzzled that the corresponding bug-report to the Debian list
> was somehow missing. I resent it watching the postfix logs and found
> that potfix was missing the MX entry of my relay host and refused to
> send. Since the host itself actually does not have a MX entry, I was
> sidetracked assuming postfix was not smart enough to strip the host name
> from the domain. During this trouble shooting I had postfix reload its
> configuration a couple of times. After setting the name in [] postfix
> reported that the A entry was missing, which definitely was wrong.
>
> I restarted postfix and voilá it continued working like it did all the
> years before. Now I know that it is smart enough to strip the relay host
> name from the domain to lookup MX. ;)
>
> Apparently postfix missed the switching of nameservers and did not learn
> of the new DNS until restart. Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> Postfix Version: 2.5.5 (Current Debian stable)

The Debian packages of Postfix are running smtpd in a chroot by
default. The files necessary for this are copied by the init script
/etc/init.d/postfix - and amongst them is the resolv.conf you changed.

I guess what happened is:

1. You didn't disable smtpd's chroot in master.cf.
2. You changed /etc/resolv.conf without copying it to the chroot.
3. You restarted Postfix using Debian's init script which copied the
   changed resolv.conf file to the chroot.

Stefan