After searching the mailing list (and the web in general) what I can
gather about multiple PTR records is that postfix is adamant that
hosts should not have multiple PTR records.

Who cares?  It's like saying DNS names should not have underscores or
spaces.

Yes we don't like it, but it's easy for postfix to accept and deal with
it.  OTOH, it's difficult to get OTHER admins to fix their configuration
and additionally it doesn't actually create a problem that I can see.

I'll post my actual problem in another thread, to keep this one focused
on the policy around multiple PTR records.

-frank