On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:39:16AM -0800, Aaron Clausen wrote:

> Are challenge response systems still heavily frowned on?

Yes. This is how I explain spam filtering of C/R requests to
my users:

    The attached message was reported by you as a quarantine error.

    Sadly, challenge/response anti-spam systems are in turn significant
    contributors to the spam volume on the Internet, because spammers
    and viruses forge the sender addresses of email, and users who never
    sent mail get challenged to prove their intent to send mail they
    never sent.

    When you find challenges in the quarantine in response to email
    you actually sent, by all means release them and respond.  If it
    is not inappropriate to do so, perhaps you could suggest to the
    recipient that such systems are not a socially responsible way to
    stop unwanted email.

    Either the sender is unforged and not a spammer, and the challenge
    is an unnecessary hurdle, or the sender was forged and the challenge
    is unwarranted junk mail. Thus challenge-response anti-spam systems
    are always wrong.

    Thank you for taking the time to report quarantine errors, while this
    type of message will continue to be blocked in the future, we are
    in most other cases successful in getting erroneous identification
    of legitimate mail to stop.

--
        Viktor.