On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 03:22:56PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

> The broken router then throws away the bytes with higher sequence
> numbers than 14233.
>
> Workaround: turn off window scaling support on the sender's kernel.

This problem is sufficiently common, that on Linux MTAs I always add:

    net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0

to sysctl.conf. Adjust for other systems as necessary. This hurts
long-haul throughput, but email tolerates latency, provided most of your
outbound traffic is not a high-bandwidth channel to Mars (but then you
would not be using TCP anyway...)

--
        Viktor.