On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 14:30 -0500, Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 03:43:25PM +0530, ram wrote:
>
> > One of our clients sends contract notes to their customers and they
> > require to store all logs of deliveries/bounces by some law.
> >
> > They have requirements like
> >
> > * The log should contain the full date including year
> > * The log line should indicate full info -->
> > sender,rcpt,datetime,size,status
> >
> > I have managed to add custom logs in postfix source in bounce.c and
> > sent.c. (Thanks to the neatly structured code it wasnt much of an
> > effort)
> >

> > Only problem is when a message expires there is no log line that says
> > $queue-id:  "$sender" to "$rcpt" status=expired
> >
> > How can I log this ?
>
> Collate the logs by message-id. What expired is the message, therefore,
> all recipients not yet delivered are expired.

But when a message expires , the recipient not delivered is not logged
at all.( Except for in status=deferred  lines much much  before the
expiry )
Collating lines from different places in the logfile calls for some
parsing. The parser may in itself be very trivial but I have to educate
the client to read "collated" :-(

> If the client uses a decently written bounce-bot, they can parse any
> bounces and extract the undelivered recipients.

Perfect.
We are already doing bounce handling at the bounce box.
The real requirement here is just cosmetic:  "We need logs of every
single mail with *exact* status for 7 years"