On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:40:47AM -0800, brian moore wrote:
> Strip out the commas to make the sentence simpler:
>   Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs by organizations and networks ... or
>   by ISPs ... requires a subscription to the Spamhaus DNSBL
>   Datafeed Service...
>
> When Spamhaus switched to this model, they sent mail insisting I
> pay, so they seem to agree with my interpretation.
>
> [Ironically, the ISP's are actually owned by a Non-profit, and one
> is a non-profit itself, using revenues from paying customers to
> subsidize low income access... but 501c3 status is not mentioned as
> a distinguisher between commercial and non-commercial, and it is
> all a very complicated arrangement to appease the IRS anyway...)

It's not surprising that Spamhaus would fail to mention US IRS
classifications of status, since they are based in UK.

Did you reply to the email and ask?

When my friend[1] Norman De Forest passed away in 2006, Spamhaus
donated a data feed to his ISP, Chebucto Community Net, as a
memorial. There are human beings behind Spamhaus; perhaps you can
find a sympathetic ear. Can't hurt to ask, anyway. Good luck.

[1] An Internet acquaintance only, but I think anyone[2] who came
    in contact with Norman thought of him as a friend.
    http://beacon.chebucto.ca/Content-2006/norman.html
[2] Except for spammers, of course. :)