Wietse Venema put forth on 2/23/2010 11:41 AM:
> Stan Hoeppner:
>> Wietse Venema put forth on 2/23/2010 10:39 AM:
>>
>>> Not all the world
>>> is Linux. In fact there are 10 times as many Macs.
>>
>> Wietse Venema put forth on 2/16/2010 10:01 AM:
>>> This is a technical mailing list. When you claim that something is
>>> bad, you need to support that claim with actual evidence. Otherwise,
>>> you are just spreading rumors.
>>
>> Linux = operating system
>> MAC = computer (usually runs MAC OSX but not always)
>>
>> Given worldwide Linux use on desktops, laptops, and servers, and given that
>> the vast majority of Macintosh PCs and servers are sold into the US market
>> only, I have trouble believing there are 10x more OSX installations
>> worldwide than Linux.  In fact, I would venture to guess it's the other way
>> round, but with an even higher ratio.  I have no hard figures to support
>> this, but I'm guessing you don't either.
>
> Here is one example:
> http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

>From that same page:

Market Share Help
Operating System

This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use for
browsing (not servers).  This data is derived by aggregating the traffic
across our network of websites that use our service.

Not very applicable since most desktops don't run an MTA, and not very
thorough since the data is strictly collected on clients connecting to
Netmarketshare's web servers.

It's unfortunate that there is no easy systematic way to collect server OS
market share data.  Even Netcraft only has httpd stats not OS stats.

I concede Victor's point, obviously.  I'm arguing Postfix' multi-platform
support, which is fantastic.  I'm merely playfully, academically, jousting
with you over the Mac vs Linux numbers comment, which I believe to be upside
down in favor of the wrong fighter (boxing analogy).

If you'd have said "Postfix must work not only with Linux, but also *BSD,
AIX, Solaris, and other Unix style OS's" I'd have never responded.

--
Stan