On Thursday 04 March 2010 08:57:30 Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Thanks for all the tips.
>
> Postfix and Dovecot are indeed on the same box and I do agree with you that
>  it would require one heck of a hack to get this to work.

See below, it might be a "simple" configuration still?

> Since this is software, it is possible, just maybe not with the current
>  implementation of the 2 bits of software. It would be nice if postfix had
>  some sort of setting to allow an external program to take a copy of the
>  email being sent. Then, dovecot (again probably a hacked version) could
>  store the email in the sent items folder.
>
> As for the BCC idea, this could work, but only if postfix was able to
>  prefix the subject with something like "[sent]", or even better add a
>  header, then dovecot can filter to the correct folder. Is this possible?

Can't you filter this on the "from" field?
Eg:
If <from> = <my email> then
{
  store in sent items
} else {
  store in inbox / parse other rules...
}

With that, I thought there is an option in postfix to bcc a single address on
all emails?
You could then put a filter like the following on all emails coming into that
address:

if <from> in <list of local emails> then
{
  store in correct Sent Items
} else {
  discard email as we don't want to duplicate incoming email
}

--
Joost