Timo Sirainen:
> On 8.3.2010, at 1.26, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> > smtp_address_preference (default: ipv6)
>
> Probably the whole reason for this thread was because of me. I
> used to have a working IPv6 setup, and then switched to a different
> ISP and just copied all my configs. Everything worked fine for a
> few days so I didn't think too much about it after that. Then
> several years later I hear Erik's having problems subscribing to
> Dovecot mailing list.
>
> Of course I fixed the problem immediately as I found out about
> it, but I'm just wondering how many other such setups there are
> that break once IPv6 becomes more common. Should this setting
> default to "any"? Is there really even a reason for it to be other
> than "any" (at least until IPv6 really is commonly used everywhere)?

Perhaps, that's why I talked about "smtp_address_preference = any"
on the mailing list.

Currently, Postfix ships with "inet_protocols = ipv4" as the default,
so people who turn on IPv6 support should know what they are doing.

I don't know common it is to have different performance levels or
different failure modes for IPv6 and IPv4. Nor do I know how common
it is for destinations to have half a dozen or more IPv6 addresses
(i.e.  more than the default Postfix smtp_mx_address_limit of 5).