Carlos Mennens:
> I noticed today that many items expressed in main.cf appear to be what
> "I think" is default value and should not be expressed. I was
> wondering if this logic is correct:
>
> If the following two values are identical, can I simply remove the
> parameter from 'main.cf'?
>
> r...@mail:~# postconf -n | grep "sendmail_path"
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> r...@mail:~# postconf -d | grep "sendmail_path"
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> This wont break or hurt Postfix, correct? I should only add values in
> main.cf that differ from the default and remove redundant entries,
> right? Just am worried I would break Postfix in some special scenarios
> Postfix expects the default value to be expressed again in 'main.cf'.

These parameters are set when Postfix is installed. Since different
system distributions install things in different places, having
this information in main.cf is useful, because it will show up in
the "postconf -n" output when people report a problem.

(as some maintainers modifity the built-in Postfix defaults, having
the real values in a problem report is better than having to guess).