On 4/4/2010 8:03 PM, Yves Dorfsman wrote:

smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,
reject_unknown_address, reject_unknown_client,
reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname, check_client_access
hash:/etc/postfix/access, reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

This accepts mail from SASL-authenticated clients and rejects unknown
stuff from SASL-unauthenticated clients.

Your mail is rejected because the client is not SASL authenticated.

That's right I get rejected before I even have the time to authenticate,
right after the helo (I tried manually with telnet)

That sounds as if you've set
smtpd_delay_reject = no

Don't do that.

However I do have helo_restrictions:

postconf -n |grep helo
smtpd_helo_required = yes
smtpd_helo_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_hostname, reject_invalid_hostname

I will comment them out and see if it works. I suspect they don't do a
lot in terms of fighting spam anyway.

Each smtpd_*_restrictions section should start with "permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated" if you don't want to reject mail from authorized clients.

It's challenging to give definitive answers when the conditions keep changing.

  -- Noel Jones