Geoff Sweet:
> I having a heck of a time compiling 2.6.5 onto my CentOS 5.4 system (x86)
> with SASL support.  I can verify that the libssl and libcrypto libraries are
> present:
>
> $ ls /usr/lib/libssl.so
> /usr/lib/libssl.so
>
> $ ls /usr/lib/libcrypto.so
> /usr/lib/libcrypto.so
>
> so I make my Makefile like so per the documentation:
>
> make makefiles CCARGS='-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -DDEF_SERVER_SASL_TYPE="dovecot"'

That is NOT what the documentation told you to do.

Instead, the documentation gives a specific example, and a warning
about following the syntax precisely:

        % make makefiles CCARGS='-DDEF_CONFIG_DIR=\"/some/where\"'
        % make

    IMPORTANT: Be sure to get the quotes right. These details matter a lot.

I wonder why I wrote that text.