On Apr 19, 2010, at 9:22 PM, Steve wrote:

> You can run that caching DNS where ever you want as long as you secure that
> DNS. If you use BIND and are using forwarders to your ISP name servers then
> that caching will not necessarily help much if your ISP's NS are the problem.

thanks for the reply.
this is where i get upside down.

if im caching only on localhost 127.0.0.1, and I point my OS to use local dns,
it will query root servers correct ?
but sitting on the inside behind aNATed ip , how then does it resolv internal
hosts if Im resolving from root servers ? i guess i could pull secondary from
internal dns server, but I do not want addresses to bleed over.- sorry i know "
not a postfix thread issue. just trying make sure my requests are coming out
correctly.
-j

> If this would be the case then instruct your BIND to forward queries for
> spamhaus.org directly to their name servers instead going over your ISP's
> name servers. Something like that here below might be helpful to you:
> zone "spamhaus.org" in {
>  type forward;
>  allow-query { 127.0.0.1; };
>  forwarders {
>    82.94.216.239;   // ns8.spamhaus.org
>    194.82.174.6;    // ns20.ja.net
>    149.20.58.65;    // ns.dns-oarc.net
>    194.109.9.101;   // ns3.xs4all.nl
>    207.241.224.5;   // ns2.spamhaus.org
>    192.150.94.200;  // ns3.spamhaus.org
>    195.169.124.71;  // ns3.surfnet.nl
> };

i will keep this handy. i could have used this snippit this morning. :)

> Keep in mind that the NS list for spamhaus.org could change in the future. If
> that happens then you need to update that forwarders list from above.

as in most things these days. thanks.