On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 02:38:40PM -0600, Robert Lopez wrote:

> We have a few postfix servers that receive mail and forward clean
> email to the Luminis email / iPlanet.
>
> Users who use portable devices including notebooks, web books, and
> smart phones keep asking to be able to send and reply-to mail
> remotely.

To enable remote submission, provision a port 587 TLS encrypted
submission service that offers AUTH PLAIN, and perhaps also GSSAPI
if you are willing to expose a suitable KDC to the Internet and
client software supports SMTP with GSSAPI auth.

Postfix supports Cyrus SASL. As backends for "PLAIN", you can use the
"rimap" support to delegate password validation to the imap server, or
directly consult the same password oracle that the IMAP server uses.

> What's the best way to accomplish the goal in this environment?

Figure out which SASL modules are inter-operable with your IMAP
server or its single-sign-on backend.

--
        Viktor.

environment.  If you are interested, please drop me a note.