On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Sahil Tandon <sa...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010, Frank Shute wrote:
>
>> I tried setting up cyrus-sasl with my Postfix running on FreeBSD-8-STABLE.
>>
>> This is what I did:
>>
>> added the lines:
>>
>> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
>> smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
>>
>> to main.cf
>>
>> put this in /usr/local/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
>>
>> [mail.zetnet.co.uk]              esperance.zetnet.co.uk:XXXXX
>
> The RHS of this map should be in the form of username:password, as used
> to authenticate with mail.zetnet.co.uk.
>
>> mail.zetnet.co.uk[64.29.151.40]:25: SASL mechanisms PLAIN LOGIN
>> May 16 20:38:35 orange postfix/smtp[44738]: warning: SASL
>> authentication failure: No worthy mechs found
>
> This is because your ISP's mail server announces "AUTH PLAIN LOGIN" and
> by default:
>
>  smtp_sasl_security_options = noplaintext, noanonymous
>
> You could lower the default security standards by removing 'noplaintext'
> from the above declaration, but that is not recommended.  For more,
> check out the SASL_README.

Sahil, like most FreeBSD users you are a genius ;)

My O'Reilly book didn't mention smtp_sasl_security_options
or more likely I missed it.

I dropped the noplaintext declaration and I got "authentication
failed" which is a big improvement.

Despite using a variety of combos of my username & password, I got nowhere.

So I decided to try pushing mail through my hosting provider and that
worked! No more crappy webmail!

I'll look at the README and see how I can tighten up the ship.

Many thanks.

--

Frank