On 07/12/2010 04:41 PM, John A. wrote:
Hi.

I'm trying to setup a multi-server mail architecture with a mail gateway and 2
final dest. servers hosting mailboxes, all on the same domain.
I'm using virtual mailboxes wih MySQL backend (same for the 3 servers).

I set up the gateway which forwards to end servers.
The problem is that I can't get to send email from one end server to the
other.

...why would you ever do that ?

You send mail to the machine that holds the destination mailbox.
Mailstores never send mail to each other.

You should also be aware of the fact that such a setup is fully dependent on the mail gateway; if that goes down, you have no mail system left.

First I tried to make the server act like if the mailbox didn't exist on the
local server (with SQL where) thinking that if it doesn't exist here, the mail
will be relayed to the 'relay_host', but getting "User unknown in virtual
mailbox table".
It is not working better with "relay_domains" directive, because it is already
set in "virtual_mailbox_domains" one.

That won't work.
You say you have user data in a SQL table; then use that to determine which backend should get what.
transport_maps would work fine for this.

I red the all nearly all documentation I found, especially the official one, but
I'm missing some details.

Yes; first and foremost, you're missing the transport(5) man page: http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html

Hope I'm being clear enough.

Here's the main.cf: