Noel Jones put forth on 8/27/2010 8:58 AM:

> Yes, this was rejected by reject_unknown_client_hostname.
>
> Yes, it appears the client's DNS is working correctly /now/.
>
> The mail was deferred with a 450 code.  This implies that there was a
> temporary DNS error of some type.  Just because dig works now doesn't
> guarantee that it worked when postfix asked earlier.

If the OP isn't currently running a caching DNS resolver on his MX, I'd
suggest he do so.  It helps curb many of these transient DNS lookup
failures.  I installed pdns_recursor on my MX a while back and it has
helped quite a bit with issues similar to this one.  Doing so also
decreases lookup latency which can increase performance a bit.

--
Stan