On 09/22/2010 09:57 PM, Jay G. Scott wrote:
        (at my site) spam arrives in big slugs.  when a big
slug arrives sendmail will bog down--what wouldn't?

A properly configured postfix 2.7+ with postscreen wouldn't.

AFAIK your stated problem is exactly why postscreen was developed: to keep known spammers (who are on RBLs and/or try to subvert the protocols) away from the expensive smtpd daemon, and whitelist regular, more trusted clients so they may bypass the stricter and slower postscreen tests.

I don't know if anybody has run tests of this yet (it's still kinda new), but it would be instructive to compare a "regular" postfix setup (pre-postscreen) to a postscreen setup with fairly strict settings, with respect to the load when a large spam dump hits.

--
J.