On 2010-09-28 6:04 AM, Neil wrote:
> I want to have postfix listen on an additional port (say 785) for SMTP
> submission by clients.

You mean in *addition* to the submission port (587)? Or was that a typo
and you really want to listen on port 587?

> At first I thought all I had to do was add another line in master.cf
> <http://master.cf> that looked the same as the submission line, but
> change the port somewhere.

Maybe it wasn't a typo... yes, you can simply clone the submission line
in master.cf, but change the service name to the port# (ie, 785) like so:

785 inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
  -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
  -o smtpd_tls_auth_only=yes

But unless you have a really good reason ('security through obscurity is
NOT a good reason), I recommend simply uncommenting the submission port
and use it.

> But then I read in the docs for master.cf <http://master.cf> it seemed
> to me that a service could only be listed once in master.cf

This only applies to the service+port#. Services listed by name by
definition include the port#. So, you can't have two different smtpd
listeners on the same host:port, but you can have multiple listeners on
*different* ports.

--

Best regards,

Charles