heh.  the subject of my question seems to be wrong.
there's something else i don't understand.  here's my postconf -n output:

command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
content_filter = pmx:127.0.0.1:10025
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
html_directory = /opt/depot/postfix-2.7.1/html
inet_interfaces = all
local_transport = error:local mail delivery is disabled
mail_owner = postfix
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
masquerade_domains = $mydomain
message_size_limit = 0
mydestination =
mydomain = arlut.utexas.edu
myhostname = j6.arlut.utexas.edu
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 10.0.0.0/8
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /opt/depot/postfix-2.7.1/README
recipient_delimiter = +
relay_domains = ws.arlut.utexas.edu     sisl-list.arlut.utexas.edu
spd.arlut.utexas.edu    lists.arlut.utexas.edu  seaturtle.arlut.utexas.edu
arlex.arlut.utexas.edu  arlmail.arlut.utexas.edu        tools.arlut.utexas.edu
vme.arlut.utexas.edu
relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfknown_users
relayhost = [ns6.arlut.utexas.edu]
sample_directory = /etc/postfix
setgid_group = postdrop
transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pftransport
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

this test box is a mail gateway.  i don't deliver mail locally.
it's inside the firewall.

relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfknown_users
more /etc/postfix/pfknown_users
g...@arlut.utexas.edu OK

transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pftransport
more /etc/postfix/pftransport
ws.arlut.utexas.edu     smtp:[ws.arlut.utexas.edu]
sisl-list.arlut.utexas.edu      smtp:[sisl-list.arlut.utexas.edu]
spd.arlut.utexas.edu    smtp:[spd.arlut.utexas.edu]
lists.arlut.utexas.edu  smtp:[lists.arlut.utexas.edu]
seaturtle.arlut.utexas.edu      smtp:[seaturtle.arlut.utexas.edu]
arlex.arlut.utexas.edu  smtp:[arlex.arlut.utexas.edu]
arlmail.arlut.utexas.edu        smtp:[arlmail.arlut.utexas.edu]
tools.arlut.utexas.edu  smtp:[tools.arlut.utexas.edu]
vme.arlut.utexas.edu    smtp:[vme.arlut.utexas.edu]

alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfmalias
more /etc/postfix/pfmalias
gl: g...@vme.arlut.utexas.edu

i __thought__ that mail sent this way:
mailx -s "test" gl < /etc/motd
or this way:
mailx -s "test" g...@arlut.utexas.edu < /etc/motd
would be sent by this test machine directly to vme.arlut.utexas.edu.

now it's beginning to dawn on me that if alias_maps is for local
delivery only, it contributes nothing to my goal since i don't
do local delivery.
        ---------------------
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html
        alias_maps (default: see "postconf -d" output)

    The alias databases that are used for local(8) delivery
        ---------------------
        http://www.postfix.org/local.8.html
        The  local(8)  daemon processes delivery requests from the
       Postfix queue manager to deliver mail to local recipients.
        ---------------------

that is, the relay_recipient_maps entry is okay, it says i can
send mail to gl; and the transport_maps entry is okay.  but
alias_maps isn't consulted since i don't do local delivery.
so there's nothing in the above that says gl's mail
goes to the machine vme.arlut.utexas.edu -- alias_maps won't
enter in to it.

is that correct?

if so, what should i do to have this gateway find out about
the connection between the user gl and the mail delivery machine vme?
is that supposed to go in transport_maps?  because it seems like
that should be at the domain level only.
what's the syntax in that case?
g...@arlut.utexas.edu   relay:[...@vme.arlut.utexas.edu]
or
g...@arlut.utexas.edu   relay:[vme.arlut.utexas.edu]
or
g...@arlut.utexas.edu   relay:g...@[vme.arlut.utexas.edu]
that is, what do i do about the user name on the right hand side?
i tried the middle one of those, and the mail still goes through
the relayhost.

j.

--
Jay Scott               512-835-3553            g...@arlut.utexas.edu
Head of Sun Support, Sr. System Administrator