On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 10:56:57AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre:

> I can replace that "Otherwise..." sentence by a separate list item.
>
>        domain.tld
>               Matches domain.tld.
>
>             The pattern domain.tld also matches subdomains, but only
>             when the string smtpd_access_maps is listed in the Postfix
>             parent_domain_matches_subdomains configuration setting.
>
>        .domain.tld
>             Matches subdomains of domain.tld, but only when the
>             string smtpd_access_maps is not listed in the Postfix
>             parent_domain_matches_subdomains configuration setting.

I like this. I think it's clearer. I, too, once misinterpreted this
passage, and whilst it might not qualify as a postfix-users FAQ, it
does come up regularly here.

Perhaps some more flesh could be added here as well:

parent_domain_matches_subdomains (default: see postconf -d output)
       What  Postfix  features match subdomains of "domain.tld"
       automatically, instead of requiring an explicit ".domain.tld"
       pattern.  This is planned backwards compatibility:
       eventually, all Postfix features are expected to require
       explicit ".domain.tld" style patterns when you really want to
       match subdomains.

Such as:
"
       Possible strings include debug_peer_list, fast_flush_domains,
       mynetworks, permit_mx_backup_networks, qmqpd_authorized_clients,
       relay_domains, and smtpd_access_maps.

       Note: the leading dot ".domain.tld" pattern is ignored for
       features which are listed in parent_domain_matches_subdomains.
"

The string list is taken from my own postconf -d, are there others
which might be used in some cases? I guess all of those except
smtpd_access_maps would be hyperlinked; and maybe that could link to
access.5.html.