On 2010-11-25 Patric Falinder wrote:
> Ansgar Wiechers skrev 2010-11-24 18:11:
>>>
>>> Ok, thanks! Is there any other ways to protect yourself against
>>> backscatter?
>>
>> I wrote a filter based on smtpprox [1]. Disclaimer: AFAIK this has never
>> been used on medium or high traffic servers, so I don't know how it
>> would perform in such environments.
>>
>> [1] http://www.planetcobalt.net/sdb/backscatter.shtml
>
> Cool, I will check that out and see if I can try it out on my personal
> mail-server first and see how it works.

Feel free. Feedback is welcome, of course.

> I looked arround and found check_sender_access and
> check_recipient_access, can I for example do something like this:
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
> check_recipient_access = /etc/postfix/check-for-backscatter
>

> /etc/postfix/check-for-backscatter:
> u...@domain.com reject_rbl_client ips.backscatterer.org

Doesn't work that way.

cob...@iridium:~ $ man 5 postconf | grep -A3 check_recipient_access
       check_recipient_access type:table
              Search the specified access(5) database for the resolved RCPT TO
              address,  domain, parent domains, or localpart@, and execute the
              corresponding action.

With check_*_access you have to use some kind of table lookup:

  check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/check-for-backscatter
  check_recipient_access regexp:/etc/postfix/check-for-backscatter
  check_recipient_access pcre:/etc/postfix/check-for-backscatter

However, you can't use reject_rbl_client in these tables (see man 5
access).

You could try something like this:

# /etc/postfix/main.cf
smtpd_restriction_classes = backscatter_rbl
backscatter_rbl = reject_rbl_client ips.backscatterer.org
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
  check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/bounce-senders

# /etc/postfix/bounce-senders
<> backscatter_rbl

This should check NDNs (or rather, all messages sent with a null sender
address, which usually are NDNs) against ips.backscatterer.org. Not sure
if it does work though, as I haven't tested it.

> and then only the address u...@domain.com gets checked at
> ips.backscatterer.org?
>
> And if I would want to check all the mails that comes from <> can I do
> the same only in the smtpd_sender_restrictions?

I'd recommend doing the latter rather than the former.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky