Martin Kellermann put forth on 12/2/2010 6:08 AM:

> and there's a 5 sec. delay ... seems way too long to me for just
> checking the recipient...!?

That delay should be no longer than what a typical delivery to the
Exchange server would be.  Since no message is sent, it should be
shorter by quite a bit.  I would guess the delay is within the Exchange
server, not Postfix, so you may need to do some sleuthing on the Exch
server to see what it causing the delay.

> PS: should unverified_recipient_reject_code set to 450 or 550 ?

You should probably leave this at the defaults.  As I understand it, the
default configuration will return a 5xx for "unknown user" and a 4xx if
the query fails, due to network, etc.

--
Stan