On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 10:51:18AM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

> I guess this is intended behaviour - there is no sender address,
> so the destination hostname is looked up instead, but shouldn't there
> also be a lookup with sender='<>' ?

No. Just as there is no user-specific relayhost for sender '<>'.  Clearly
there is no universal password for sending bounces via all SMTP servers,
and since mail from "<>" takes the default route, it uses the default
(nexthop-specific) password policy.

This is correct as designed. The sender-specific stuff is for SOHO users
who want outbound mail sourced via their outside email service provider.
This is clearly not appropriate for "<>". For mail addressed from users
with outside mailboxes use "relayhost" and whatever password policy you
have for "relayhost".

--
        Viktor.