Dave Brodin:
> On 12/9/2010 4:55 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > Wietse Venema put forth on 12/9/2010 2:52 PM:
> >> Dave Brodin:
> >> I would bet that the problem is not that Postfix is broken, but
> >> rather, that you have a problem with the way FreeBSD talks to your
> >> hardware.
> > Dave, does the old server have multiple high rpm SCSI or SAS disks in a
> > RAID setup, but the new system has fewer, larger, lower rpm sata disks,
> > possibly without raid striping at all?  A substantial drop in storage
> > subsystem IOPS throughput could be a possibility here as well.
> >

> I'll have to check tomorrow, but I'm almost positive they are all 15K
> RPM SCSI drives.  In both servers, they are external Dell PowerVault
> storage units.
>
> But I'm going to dig into the drivers and hardware to see what I can
> find there.

Some two months ago, a file system performance problem was reported
as fixed on this list, by reflashing some firmware with a different
version.

Postfix really loads the disk with write operations, unlike websites.
If there is a problem with output (at the O/S or "hardware" level),
then Postfix will expose that problem mercilessly, and I suspect
that's happening in your case.