On 12/16/2010 3:00 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
Dave Brodin:
Many thanks to Scott Lambert for what I believe to be the solution to my
load problem.  It was nsswitch.conf which still had all its default
settings when I began this troubleshooting.  I had changed all the
entries from nis to files when he mentioned it a few days ago.  But he
then suggested changing the compat setting for group and passwd to files
also.

So it now looks like:

group: files
group_files: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_files: nis
shells: files
services: files
services_files: nis
protocols: files
rpc: files
OK, before less-informed people start to spread urban legends, I
did all the measurements with the default nsswitch.conf file (see
below) which contains the exact same entries that were making your
system crawl.

So, while Postfix is now performing better for you, I am less
convinced that everything is kosher, unless someone can explain to
why the default nsswitch.conf was no good for your particular
system (or why it was burning up 98% CPU in kernel mode).

        Wietse

group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files
services: compat
services_compat: nis
protocols: files
rpc: files

OK. I'm going to put nsswitch.conf back to the way it was, revert my postfix configuration back to an out of the box setup, and then see if the CPU is still overloaded.

--
Dave Brodin
Network Operations Manager

This message may contain information that is confidential. If you are not an
intended recipient, use and disclosure of this message are prohibited.  If you
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail
and delete the message and any attachments.