On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 12:32:55PM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Monday, February 07, 2011 3:06 PM -0500 Victor Duchovni
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tabs are equally well preserved in the message body as in attachments.
>> I applied the patch directly from the message source. Perhaps your
>> mail client does not make the message body available for saving into
>> a file?
>>
>> I use mutt most of the time, no problem there. With Apple's Mail.app,
>> I can "Save As" a message into a text file... Which MUA makes the
>> simple difficult?
>
> I can "Save As" just fine, the point is I don't want or need all the cruft
> from the message, just the patch itself. It's cleaner and simpler.
The "patch" command automatically deals with (ignores) non-patch
content. The cruft can provide useful human-readable context related to
the patch. After you've saved the message file (no tabs mangled, ...)
you can, if you prefer, delete the text above and below the patch.
I usually post small patches in the message body, and attach larger
patches that require compression.
--
Viktor.