On 2/14/2011 10:56 AM, Scappatura Rocco wrote:
Hello,

I have different aliases configured under the same domain, say:

  ali...@domain.tld ali...@domain.tld ali...@domain.tld

which forward an email to the same mailbox, say:

  mail...@domain2.tld

I have tried the following experiments..

EXPERIMENT 1: mail...@domain2.tld is the mailbox ali...@domain.tld (i.e.: the
aliases above are all aliases of the same email address ali...@domain.tld)
============

I have a postfix mail server (Postfix+MySQL+Courier-IMAP+Maildrop). In the
mailbox for ali...@domain.tld I saw three copy of the same message: one for
each alias. Every one has the same message ID.

EXPERIMENT 1: mail...@domain2.tld is NOT the mailbox ali...@domain.tld
============
The domain domain2.tld is managed on a different mailserver. It a MS Exchange
mailserver which is not managed by me. When I get the messages on my MS Outlook
with Windows protocol, I get only one message with three recipient:

  ali...@domain.tld ali...@domain.tld ali...@domain.tld

Now, I have the following questions:

1) Why is there this different behavior in the situations above?

Because they're different systems.

2) Who collapse the three email into one in CASE 2? The MTA or the MUA?

Probably the delivery agent.

3) Is it possible to get the behavior on postfix post office while download
messages with POP3/IMAP protocols?

Configure the delivery agent to discard duplicate messages. The postfix delivery agents don't support duplicate suppression, so you'll need maildrop or procmail.

  -- Noel  Jones