Zitat von Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org>:

Christian Roessner:
This is, what I learned. So now my question: what do you have in mind
Wietse, if you say, you may provide something? Do not get me wrong

I have written a "postfix upstart" command as described below.

This can automatically respawn Postfix in single instance mode
(even if I have never seen Postfix die in 14 years of development).
It automatically handles the SIGHUP signal from upstart.

In the case of "multi instance mode" Postfix it just becomes an
idle persistent process. Here, I still need to add code that executes
"postfix reload" when it receives the SIGHUP signal from upstart.

Some details are still in flux, for example I may decide to merge
"postfix check" functionality under "postfix upstart".

        Wietse

POSTFIX(1) POSTFIX(1)
       upstart
Start the Postfix mail system (skipping the "check" phase) and do not disappear into the background. See "RUNNING UNDER
              UPSTART" below.

RUNNING UNDER UPSTART
The upstart system is designed for automated stopping and (re)starting
       of daemon applications.

The following is an example of the core entries for an upstart job def-
       inition:

              # Boot-time health check and repair.
              pre-start exec postfix check

              # Due to its "one PID per job" model, upstart cannot
              # support automatic restart in Postfix multi-instance
              # mode.
              exec postfix upstart

              # Orderly shut down before upstart sends SIGKILL.
              pre-stop exec postfix stop

Note: upstart assumes that there is one PID per job, therefore it can-
       not support automatic restart in Postfix multi-instance mode.

This is now running on an Ubuntu virtual machine.

Cool...
And BTW i also have never seen Postfix die. It is one of the most stable non-trivial software systems i have seen until now.

Many Thanks

Andreas