On 2011-03-07 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> mouss put forth on 3/6/2011 7:03 PM:
>> /^.*foo/
>> means "it starts with something followed by foo". and this is the same
>> thing as "it contains foo", which is represented by
>> /foo/
>
> I was taught to always start my expressions with "/^" and end them
> with "$/".  Why did Steven teach me to do this if it's not necessary?

I wouldn't know what his rationale was, but Noel and mouss are certainly
right. "Anchoring" something between wildcard matches is utterly
pointless.

As mouss explained above, /^.*foo/, /.*foo/ and /foo/ produce the same
results. That is, unless your regexp processor implicitly anchors an
expression at the beginning of the string, in which case you'd need the
leading .*, but still won't need to explicitly anchor it with a ^.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky