Rich Wales:
> I'm running Postfix 2.8.1 and Cyrus 2.3.16 on an Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)
> server.
>
> I'm having trouble with incoming mail from Google's Postini help forum.
> The messages I'm getting contain null characters in the body, so Cyrus
> is saying "554 5.6.0 Message contains NUL characters (in reply to end
> of DATA command)" and is refusing to accept the messages in question.
>
> I added "message_strip_characters = \0" to my Postfix's main.cf and did
> a reload of Postfix, but this doesn't seem to have had any effect on the
> problem. I did a Google search and found various complaints over the
> years from people claiming "message_strip_characters = \0" didn't work
> for them, but there didn't seem to be any obvious answer.
It is a good idea to report this on the postfix mailing list. I
don't have the time to read all the blogs, wikis, etc. on the
Internet that discuss Postfix.
Now that the problem has (finally) come to my attention, do you
have an example? I don't run software that barfs on nulls so this
is difficult to recreate and eliminate just fom a verbal description.
A hexdump of a message, and Postfix/Cyrus logging for that message
would be sufficient. You can send this off-list.
Wietse