Greetings

I need some user opinions on obtaining certificates. Free or purchase ?

I have a bank of relays and imap servers running in my intranet. We have been
using self signed certs for ever, but I am thinking that a Free " comodo "
style cert may work in this case.  But I know absolutely nothing about these in
use with email, and I am really confused about the different certificate types.
what i should use, and where to get them.
good bad indifferent , is there a better way ?

systems im looking at

primary mx
primary dns

relays (1,2,3)
imap/pop (1,2,3,4,) webmail/apache

my primary concern is the smtp relays I have setup for external authentication.
any advise would be helpful
-j