Am 05.05.2011 18:23, schrieb Victor Duchovni:

> You know exactly what you mean when you use "[localhost]" as a nexthop,
> why not say so? What's the point of jumping through a pile of indirection
> and shared libraries just to arrive at an address that every administrator
> knows in advance. In fact, localhost may resolve to both "::1" and
> "127.0.0.1", but only one or other is typically correct.

> So I say that this particular "indirection" is counter-productive.
> The IPv4 or IPv6 address of localhost is not changing any time soon,
> and you just complicate things unnecessarily by using the name.

Victor,

Thanks, that reasoning makes sense.

Still it was quite irritating that a Postfix upgrade "broke" my system
(quoted because it didn't break but suffered from a resolver bug that
Wieste probably hadn't seen on FreeBSD), this hadn't happened in a dozen
years.

I had checked the Postfix 2.8 release notes immediately, but they bore
no references to this particular HISTORY entry:

20100827
        Bugfix: the Postfix SMTP client no longer appends the local
        domain when looking up a DNS name without ".".  Specify
        "smtp_dns_resolver_options = res_defnames" to get the old
        behavior, which can produce unexpected results. Files:
        smtp/smtp.c, smtp/smtp_params.c, smtp/smtp_addr.c.

Can this retroactively be put into the 2.8 release notes as
[Incompatible Bugfix ...] entry on the websites and for 2.8.3+ releases?

Best regards,
Matthias