On 05/22/2011 03:46 AM, Diego Woitasen wrote:
Hi,
I'm writing a report system and I want to identify the messages moving through my mail servers. I need this because I must save some headers and the first lines of the message in a database with the information from the log files.

I think that the best way to relate the messages with the log lines is using the message-id but it has a problem. I can't trust in messages that arrive from the world. So what a want to do is to replace the message-id when every message arrives to our MXs and copy the original message-id to a second header. Message-id sometimes are useful to debug issues and I don't want to loose that information.

Suggestions about how to do this?

Read http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html on how to manipulate headers.

The more complex case of dual actions you want may be better solved using milters, though:

http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html

Can you explain why you need log information ?

If you don't, simply piping all mail through an external processor will be the simplest way to extract information from it.

This can be achieved in various ways, using recipient_bcc_maps or an smtp proxy.

Regards,
 Diego

--
Diego Woitasen