Thanks but I'm not sure that quite answers my question.
We already use forward_path to look for a local .forward file, eg
      forward_path =  /mail/home/$user/.forward ...
but if that .forward calls for external command delivery, eg "| /some/command"
it inherits the users normal $HOME
(which in this particular server's case triggers a remote mount).
I'd like to override the definition of HOME with /mail/home/$user to keep local.

Dovecot allows this with "home=/mail/home/$u" in userdb args= and plugins
directives

Ahh, perhaps what I need is:
command_execution_directory = /mail/home/$user

Thanks
        -- Gary
postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2.i386.rpm