> > > 1. Does the install script not set the correct permissions/ownerships
> > > ?? on installed files? From the logs:
> >
> > I know that the permissions are set if you do this:
> >
> > 1) untar source from mirrors at www.postfix.org 2) make (or "make
> > makefiles" with documented options for LDAP, SQL, etc) 3) make
> > install
> >
> >That's the procedure I followed. I even created a postfix user/group
>
> Show te evidence. Remove /etc/postfix, then use the "script" command
> to build and install (exit from the shell to terminate the script
> command).

I am talking about a production environment. Hence, I will not revert
this installation :-)))

> If you installed Postfix with a non-default install_root parameter,
> then you failed to read the instructions.

This might be the reason. (What is the default install_root? /?)

But I think the ownership/permissions should still be set even if
install_root is not the default. It does not make sense otherwise. The
installation is in an incorrect state if it does not set ownerships/
permissions.

So, yes, this happens when one follows the build procedure, but
provides a non-default install_root.

> > > 2. Why is local(8) trying to expand search_base from ldap_table(5)?
> >
> > Because *someone* turned on LDAP lookups. Postfix installed as
> > per steps 1..3 above does not look up LDAP, SQL, etc. at all.
> >
> >Well, that someone was me. The question was not why it it does LDAP
> >lookups,
>
> Because you turned on LDAP lookups. See ADDRESS_REWRITING_README for
> all local(8) lookups that happen BEFORE mailbox delivery.

Thanks for point me to that.

Sun Chong