Wietse Venema:
> Andrew Miklas:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using Postfix with the pipe transport to deliver mail to an
> > internal application.  The transport map is set to forward all
> > messages destined to *@*.pagerduty.com to the application.
> >
> > This usually works really well, but we occasionally have fairness
> > problems where a sudden burst of messages received nearly
> > simultaneously for one address monopolize our pool of delivery
> > agents.  This creates high delivery latencies for messages to other
> > addresses that arrive just after the burst.  It looks like Postfix
> > maintains a single delivery queue for all messages due for processing
> > by our application.
> >
> > What I'd like to do is have Postfix maintain separate delivery queues
> > for each address, and then cycle round-robin through those queues as
> > delivery agents become available.
>
> /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>    pipetransportname_destination_recipient_limit = 2
>
> where pipetransportname is the first field in master.cf.

Argh. That should be:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
   pipetransportname_destination_recipient_limit = 1
   pipetransportname_destination_concurrency_limit = 2

The first one enables the "one queue per recipient" feature,
and the second one controls how many resources they can get.

These settings, are the default for local(8) deliveries,
precisely for reasons that you are concerned about.